Lynda Mobile

From hamburger to tab bar

PROJECT DETAILS

The Lynda mobile app needed a navigation refresh, to move away from a hamburger menu to a tab bar.

 

DESIGN PROCESS

Analytic data (quantitative), and user research feedback (qualitative) was collected to understand mobile habits and inform a new information architecture.

We visited 10 learners in their homes, places of business, and cafes to interview and observe their habits.

In collaboration with a User Researcher, Data Scientist, and a Product Manager.

RESULTS

The design was tested with positive feedback, and prioritized for build.

 

METHODS & DELIVERABLES

Survey, Diary Study, Field Research, User Interviews, Persona Development, 2×2 matrix, Information Architecture, RITE testing, Wireframing, Prototyping (InVision)

Data driven design

Watching behavior was analyzed with analytics to inform the tab bar

Understanding user behavior

Survey analysis, user interviews, and persona development

The survey was sent to over 5,000 users, and resulted in a 10% response rate. A data scientist, helped us analyze the data to segment our users.

I accepted a job, without knowing all the programs required. I spent the weekend on Lynda.com learning how to use the programs.

On Monday morning I had the confidence that I could use the programs effectively.

Developing the Framework

In collaboration with a User Researcher, we visited 4 cities to interview Lynda mobile users.

We culminated the insights into a framework to view user behavior and motivations to inform product direction and features.

We developed a matrix, along two dimensions from the patterns in the insights and research.

Persona Development

Personas were developed from the research, to inform the product team, to understand user motivations,  goals, and how the product can accommodate the persona.

New Career was one of the newly created personas.

 

RITE Testing with Users

While in the field with users, I created a high level prototype to gather quick feedback on some IA ideas, layouts, and new features.

Between users, I updated the prototype based on consistent feedback.

 

We tested:

• New layouts for each page

• New IA and iconography

• New features

• Consistent search header

 

 

Data and research insights

• Most users didn’t know they could tap on the hamburger menu in the previous design

• Almost all users navigated from their “continue watching” videos

• Search was a key activity

• Almost all users weren’t interested in generic “New releases”, they wanted relevant content

• The RITE testing revealed issues with the “Collections” approach for video, and some iconography issues

• The new IA tested well, and users requested new features

 

Previous hamburger menu

Mapping the Information Architecture

Organizing content around a clear navigation system

 

Prototyping the experience

Quick prototypes with InVision to test navigation scheme

Finalizing the design

Visuals, layouts and organization